Korbit is looking for a hard-working, accomplished and ambitious Director of Software Engineering who has experience with software development and team leadership. Founded by ambitious PhD researchers from the Mila Research Lab and Cambridge University and backed by major US and Canadian venture capitalists, our learning platform www.korbit.ai has taught +10,000 students to date and has demonstrated significant gains in student motivation and learning outcomes. Our platform has also partnered with massive IT companies and has been recognized among the top Canadian Tech Startups of 2020 and by leading newspapers such as Bloomberg and Les Affaires.
As Director of Software Engineering, you will be leading the engineering team and supervising the development of the software and AI platform. You’re not afraid to get your hands in the code, but can also take a leadership position and manage your own team. You have a hands-on approach when it comes to solving issues.
Your responsibilities will be to supervise and work with the engineering team to develop the front-end, back-end, database and integration with machine learning systems. You will simultaneously operate on a managerial level and get your hands dirty working on the implementation. This position requires a balance between the two aspects: 50% of your role will be focused on hands-on implementation and 50% of your role will be focused on the team leadership and managerial aspects. On the hands-on implementation side, you will be responsible for the design and architecture of major software components, reviewing solutions and source code developed by your team, testing, debugging and maintaining the platform, including developing your own solutions and writing code and test cases. On the leadership and managerial side, you will be leading your team and planning their tasks on a weekly basis, as well as working together with the VP of Product, CTO and the rest of the leadership team to plan and manage major milestones and ensure that all major deliverables are finished on time. We are very ambitious, results-oriented, experimental and data-driven. We expect you to be the same!
What are the requirements?
– Located and eligible to work in Canada
– Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
– 3 years or more of experience in software development
– 2 years or more of experience as a manager or team/project leader
– Proficiency in Docker, Python, databases and web development (e.g. django, flask)
– Knowledge of data structures, object-oriented design and design patterns
– Experience working with Agile methodologies (e.g. scrum, kanban)
– Fluent in English (French is a bonus)
What’s in it for you?
– An extremely important mission, which can help millions of people around the world
– An opportunity to help build the future of education and write history
– A chance to experience working in a near Series A startup, which is growing extremely fast
– A chance to develop your career and skills as a technical manager
– A chance to take part in key architectural and business decisions
– A competitive salary, benefit and employee stock option plan
– A passionate and inspiring team
If you are interested, please send your application with a CV to email@example.com.